2.24.2009

Screw the Chopsticks

It is probably safe to say that I could eat sushi every day. Unfortunately, I've moved to a town that has only one good sushi restaurant, Red Ginger. It, of course, is rather pricey and doesn't allow for daily (or even weekly) visits without breaking the budget. Rusty, also a sushi lover (melt my heart!), decided that we should try to make our own. Easy, right? It was a lot of fun, but it did take a total of about 6 hours (including shopping for the goods), so allow yourself plenty of time. And, try not to be starving when you start...this can cause Food-Hankiness (yes, I made that up using hungry and cranky with a little bit of "ness" thrown in for added effect).
Anyway, so we decided on some easy rolls for our first time (or Maki for those of you sushi gurus): California, Spicy Tuna, Tuna with Cucumber, and Tuna with Avocado. We also made Shrimp Nigiri and Tuna Nigiri (with rice) as well as Tuna Sashimi (without rice). We made an attempt at shrimp tempura and also threw in some onion rings for shits and giggles.
When I first started eating sushi I completely dismissed the idea of the ginger on the side, but now I absolutely, positively, must have ginger accompany my every bite. It is so yummy!! How was I ever so ignorant to this amazing accessory to my most favorite meal? So I made a call to Red Ginger (because they have the BEST ginger I've ever had) and the manager sold me 1/2 a pint for just $4! Woo Hoo!!
The wasabi is in a whole section all by itself. It has to be. This powder we found will literally take your breath away. (that's what she said) Our eyes were tearing up as we were making the rolls because the dish of wasabi paste was merely sitting on the counter next to me, lingering. Once we sat down to eat, our eyes were watering and our noses were running with every bite we took. We were hysterical at the site of each other's red faces, which, in turn made us laugh and cry even more. Haha! It was definitely NOT your poor man's wasabi...this was some serious Japanese LOVE.
Here are pictures from our Sushi Date Night:


Future Sushi Chef? Haha...not quite.The pieces turned out bigger than bite size so I had to break out a fork. Hence the title of this post.
Heaven on a table! Not bad for a couple of sushi-making-virgins. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yummy stuff!! Looks great, Bran. When you guys get down to Chicago, we'll have to go out for some sushi. There are few new BYOB spots that have popped up since you've been away.

Miss you...