2.09.2009

Snowshoeing...The Experience

Where do I begin? Well. It was a cold, but sunny, January day and we wanted to get outside and play in the snow . Rusty, Ella & I rented snowshoes and set out for a little adventure. It was a leisurely half hour drive out to Sleeping Bear and Ella fell asleep. When we arrived, she woke up and we all put on our snowshoes. Ella made it as far as the start of the trail & demanded they come off. She then climbed into her toboggan. And, so began the 1.3 mile trek uphill to the lookout. Rusty so graciously offered to pull the toboggan and I followed behind. Not bad. About a 1/4 mile up, we breaked for a snack. Onward. 5 minutes after that, Ella had had enough of the toboggan. The day before, I purchased a baby sling at B&B in anticipation that I may end up carrying her. Little did I know how right I was. Once situated nicely on my hip clutching her blanky, we continued on. We walked. And walked. And, walked some more. It was gorgeous and peaceful. My legs were burning. When finally, we made it to the top! The view was breathtaking and totally worth the trip. We played in the snow for a while before beginning our journey back downhill. This was much easier than coming up, but it was still 1.3 miles in the snow with a 30 lb. child on my hip! Ella fell asleep and Rusty & I enjoyed the silence and leisurely stroll through the barren, snow covered woods. Even though I was exhausted and craving a hamburger by the time we reached the car, I would definitely do it again. Here are some pics we took at the top.

No comments: