5.04.2009

Family Picture Project

For the last year or so, my Dad and I have been sorting through hundreds of old family photos his family, dating all the way back to the early 1800's, provided by his mother and my grandma, Ella. Included, among the hundreds of photographs, are probably 150 original black and white photos from the families of Grandma Ella Stahr-Neumann and my late Grandpa Don Neumann.

This is what our step-by-step process includes:
1. Scan all pictures. (Total so far: 1,490)
2. Caption all scanned pictures with names and birth/death dates, if possible.
3. Compile DVD with all pictures for preservation. Distribute copies to the rest of the family.
4. Sort physical pictures by family (i.e. Neumann's, Stahr's) and [attempt] at chronological order.
5. Compile scrapbook of Ella's life for her 90th birthday...Completed! But was so thick, it turned into 2 albums.
6. Gather information and create a family tree of the Stahr's and the Neumann's, with birth/death dates.
7. Compile scrapbook of Grandma Ella's ancestors...the Stahr Family
8. Compile scrapbook of Grandpa Don's ancestors...the Neumann Family

Currently, we are working on the family tree that goes as far back as my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather, who was born in Germany in 1815. With this tree, we are able to match most of the pictures with names, and taking it a step further by gathering birth/death dates for everyone. With all of this information combined with some amazing original photographs, we will compile 2 separate scrapbooks...one for the Stahr family (Grandma Ella's side) and one for the Neumann side (Grandpa Don's side). I can't even tell you how much time we have all put into this project, but the information/memories are priceless to us and our future generations. A true labor of love! So, in case anyone was wondering what I've been doing with my spare time, this is it.

When the picture project began last year, my goal was to be able to present Grandma with a scrapbook of her life by her 90th birthday. Here are a couple of pictures of this first completed project. With summertime approaching, I'm not sure how far I will get with the next 2 albums this summer, but I hope to have it all completed by this time next year.

Dad's Family Tree So Far...

Grandma Ella's Life Albums...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: