5.27.2009

Memorial Day Continued...

The sea kayaking was short but full of adventure. I didn't want to miss the opportunity of snapping a photo of this first-time-ever event for Ella and I, so I braved it and stuck the camera in the boat. Ella was excited to ride in the kayak, and even more excited that Mama's Friend Mike was going to be our guide, who happened to find her an awesome Barbie life jacket to wear. But, after just 10 minutes on the river, she and I were battling over who got to paddle, and she insisted her view was better if she was standing up. With a lot of Mommy patience, I calmed her down, let her paddle, allowed her to sit facing me if she promised not to stand up, and we chatted our way down the river. My plan of distraction worked, and we both had an enjoyable float. We saw an otter stick his head out the river and Ella watched for Nemos (fish) and frogs out the side of the boat. At the end of the trip, our fellow sea kayakers let me know how impressed they were that a 3-year old handled it so well. I heaved a giant sigh and was ready for a beer.


The owners of the ranch have a little girl who is 2 and we were all very excited to introduce her and Ella. They immediately took to each other, and Ella wanted very much to hold Jo Jo's hand and be her friend. Jo Jo helped Ella pick out a backpack as a souvenir, and off they went like two peas in a pod.

No comments: